Forums

Forum Home > Off Topic > Just curious

Kinneroth
Limited Member

I recently got an email that said Anime Park is requiring all attendees to donate. Is this donation going to benefit a charitable organization, or the convention itself? If it's going to benefit the convention itself, then that's no different than charging admission which you can't do because it's being run at a school. It's why conventions like JAFAX are free, they can't charge anyone admission. Just curious as to where the donation will be going.

February 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DarjeelingDreams

I'm trying to figure out what's going on right now

--

February 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kiyumii
Limited Member

Is it mandatory to donate to attend?? :S

--

February 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kinneroth
Limited Member

"This year we will be charging money. It will be no set amount per badge, but we will require a small donating for every attendee. There will be badges this year, and if you donate more than 10$ you will receive a special badge art."

This is the email I received. If you run an anime con at a school, you can't charge money to attend. At least not in Michigan.

February 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kiyumii
Limited Member

This is alarming. I hope it gets straightened out.

--

February 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AntiPhysicalKankuro
Limited Member

Even though I'm not staff. Here's what I do know. That it is mandatory to pay the fee. I asked one of the Staffers. And she said that the least donation amount is $1.

@Kinneroth.This is based off of my observations since I have been gongi to Anime con's since 2007. And the freebie ones since 2009-2010. Actually Anime con's at school's CAN charge money/ask for a donation. These type's of venue's arn't FREE. Sometimes the staff members have to negotiate with the University/school, in order to have a con at the school.  I.e Glasscitycon. This was a free anime con in Ohio. However they had to cancel the con because of the sponder (the college) even though this is off topic on so many levels, but here is where I'm getting at... The Conchair (in which I talked to at Anime Park-he was a vender there). Said he's thinking of charging peopel $5, so that way there's money made and not everything is out of pocket...

Also note. Most school's/Universities think they can try to make money off of con's, forcing the Anime Club/what have you, to start charging a fee, at these forementioned Free Anime Cons.

Heck, maybe with the money donated we can eventually get guest's. I.e Animarathon. Used to be free but they're charging $3 at the door and $7 for pre-reg.

Another Note. Even thoguh Glasscity was free. They had pre-reg for $5. In which you got a few swag items and coupons.

I hope I helped assure some of you guy's woes, even though there's a few unanswered question's.  :)

February 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kinneroth
Limited Member

Now I'll have to rethink being able to go. Shutocon is the weekend before, and money will be tight. I went to the convention last year because it was free. Which it wasn't all that bad for a free convention. There was just large gaps with nothing to do. I wouldn't pay to sit around and be bored. There are other ways to raise funds. Selling Anime Park specific merchandise is one way to do it. I'm also curious about if panelists will be allowed into the convention for free. Every other con I've been to has a re-embursement policy for panelists, or just comps your badge. I'll have to seriously give this some thought.

February 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AntiPhysicalKankuro
Limited Member

And selling Merch cost's money. To  get the said blank Merch and for them to "print on" the logo, cost's money.

And I understand where you're comming from.

February 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kinneroth
Limited Member

Maybe consider a group discount? Say if a parent brings a bunch of minors with them, they could just donate one amount for all of them, even if it comes to less than a dollar each. I don't mean like 2 bucks for 20 kids, but maybe a pre discussed price for groups. This could help all those people who are gonna be broke from Shutocon. I also recommend for future cons maybe work on getting a sponsor. They can help go a long way toward supplementing costs. Might I also recommend a possible raffle. The more you donate, the more tickets you get. I'll be more than happy to make something awesome out of perler beads as one of the prizes. Just a few suggestions to maybe help convince others like me who might be opposed to paying for a previously free con. Forgive my post earlier. I tend to sound kinda snobbish when I'm sick, and I have been under the weather lately. Just also want to warn you that attendance might take a small set back. It happened to NMACon when they moved from a free venue at a college, to a paid one at Great Wolf Lodge. The attendance went down by half. The following year after though, the attendance jumped. So I just figured you should know.  Maybe I could set aside a bit from Shutocon to be able to afford this. 

February 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Atemluver

Hi everyone I am one of the many people running this convention and here is what I would like to add, this is a NON PROFIT CONVENTION all procedes go to the school not us, the only reason we are charging is so we can provide you guys with an sutable convention. When we say by donation we do not mean, "unless you give us $50 dollars you are not attending" Heck you could give us just a measly dollar and we'd be happy, and that dollar would go to things like maid cafe, for you guys to aquire food in the convention. Agian this is NOT FOR PROFIT, we are a student run convention, and to put it simply because we are students we are broke. The only thing that we wish to do by asking for donations is again to provide YOU with a great convention. And I do not know ANYONE who couldnt give just a dollar to attend a small convention, money cannot be that tight, Im absolutely broke. Need I mention that I have no job, but heck if I could get into a local convention for one weekend by donation I could give those people a dollar just so they can continue making this convention. 

Please try to understand from our point of view, we have tried fundraisng and we are but it's just not enough. We are trying our hardest to give you a guys a better convention, and heck Vic Mignonga, yes I said it VIC MIGNONGA offered to come to OUR convetion. I am not joking here, he said he would willingly help out a student run convention, but heres the thing he costs about oh $2000 or so. We would love to have Vic and have all of his die hard fans attend a convention thats not $60 admission so they could meet him and have a blast, but ask yourselfs, could you raise $2000 all by yourself?

I do applogize for ranting a tad but I would like to beg for your forgiveness, we are doing all we can for you guys, and let me tell you running a convention as a high schooler is no easy task (I swear my hair is turning grey already lol) All we ask is just a small donation to help keep us out of debt thats it, nothing more, nothing less.

Also we ARE making badges and your donation will get you that peice of merchandise so it's not all for nothing. And would it make you all happy if we just simply said its just a dollar for admission? And that dollar would get you a badge that will in fact cost more than a dollar, and I am willing to make them, and donate my personal money from christmas to give everyone a badge to add to their collection. So please don't be mad with us. I and everyone else are sacrifficing alot for you guys. We really want to give you guys a good covention and we are doing our best to fundraise. Please Please Please understand, and if I have to type it in japanese I will, おねがい!

Thank you for your cooperation, and your courtesy,

~Amanda E

--

I'm going to keep shining...

Just like the moon...

I'm going to light the way...

~Full moon wo sagashite

February 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kiyumii
Limited Member

Well, when you put it like that..

Thank you for the update, Atemluver

--

February 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kinneroth
Limited Member

I'm gonna let everyone on fb who plans to go to this know they'll need to bring at least a dollar to get in, so they won't be in for a surprise. Some of them don't go to the forums.

February 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DarjeelingDreams

That would be very helpful :) thank you!

--

March 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.